There’s just over 100 people here at Mashed, about evenly split between those awake and doing stuff (mainly werewolf and Rock Band at this moment in time) and those grabbing a few precious moments of sleep.
Stace came up with a good idea early on, a night manager, someone to take over from a sensible time late on Saturday to give the core organisation team a good break. This year I’ve split the main on-site organisation into four roles – the Senior Producer and three Production Assistants – it’s worked really well and meant we’ve kept everything very well in hand – but for some reason the shift pattern for overnight isn’t resulting in as much sleep as I could do with!
Ian Forrester is in his element, this is the middle of the day for him! Next year he can run the night shift I think.
Thoughts on the event so far:
- Having dedicated staff rather than volunteers has made things much easier and smoother.
- I wonder if the smooth running has some-how taken the ‘edge’ off the event a little?
- We have about 100 more people here at most times than we did last year.
- The screen is amazing, we can’t get a smaller one next year.
- I’m very excited about tomorrow’s (today’s) presentations.
- Kingswood Warren guys are awesome, I wish I had more time to give them.
- Hotel in Muswell Hill has been dreadful, the concept of a 10 room block booking seems quite alien to them.
- Very happy to read the virtually totally positive twitter and blog posts coming out.
I’m really on my knee right now, I can’t see how I can see the day out, and there’s still so much to do – I had the horrible two hour stretch in the middle of the night so I’ve not managed to get more than two hours sleep. I need some tips on keeping focused and awake. I think I may find a quiet corner and try some simple meditation.